How to Increase Your Car’s Performance
If dropping in a new engine (or power adder like a supercharger or turbo system) isn’t in the budget, don’t worry — you’re not alone. There are other ways to make more power and lower your 0-60 and ¼ mile times without breaking the bank.
Here at Rislone, we carry products designed to help you get the most out of your engine. We know that many of our customers are always looking for cheap ways to get a power boost, so we’ve put together a few common ideas:
- New exhaust: Replacing your stock exhaust with less restrictive mufflers, pipes and catalytic converters can allow your engine to breathe easier and develop more power. Even a simple change to your muffler can unlock hidden power and doesn’t have to cost a lot.
- New spark plugs and wires: While the gains won’t be huge, high-performance plugs and wires can add incremental power on the cheap. This is especially beneficial on older cars with wires that are getting brittle and cracked and aren’t firing to their full potential.
- Performance air filter: Like with aftermarket exhaust, a high-performance air filter can help your engine breath better and develop all of the power it was designed to deliver. (Don’t forget, an engine is basically a glorified air pump.) You can opt for a drop-in filter cartridge or upgrade your entire airbox with a performance part like a cold air intake (CAI).
- Reflashing engine programming (Electronic Control Unit (ECU) mapping): This cheap option works especially well with turbocharged and supercharged engines (any engine that is using forced air induction, basically) and gives you a significant bump in horsepower without making any permanent physical changes to your car. We recommend, however, finding a tuner that specializes in your vehicle so the new ECU map is proven and reliable.
- Upgraded motor mounts: Believe it or not, soft motor mounts actually suck up power. Specifically, we’re talking about that rocking action your engine makes under acceleration. This represents wasted power. In some cases, stiffer motor mounts can help.
One of the other most obvious, easy and affordable solutions to increase horsepower and make your car faster is the chemical route — to use a Rislone engine treatment product. We have a wide range of products designed to clean out your engine and help you extract every last horsepower. Choose popular options like our legendary Rislone Engine Treatment (p/n 100QR) or Engine Treatment Concentrate (p/n 4102) for conventional organic oil users. We also have Complete Gasoline Fuel System Treatment (p/n 4700) for gas engines, Diesel Fuel System Treatment (p/n 4740) for diesel engines and our proven Super Concentrated Octane Booster (p/n 4747) for a noticeable power increase and throttle responsiveness.
Questions? No problem. Reach out to us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, or contact us via the web and we’ll be happy to get back to you ASAP.